TPO Roofing Installation - Thermoplastic Roofing
What is TPO Roofing?
TPO roofing, Thermoplastic Polyolefin, is a modernized system of roofing that is categorized by a single-ply membrane. The product comes in a roll that is 10’ x 100’ and TPO roofing installation is versatile to include a number of different methods.
Manufacturers may offer a TPO roof system in a range of thicknesses, from 45mm to 60mm, and 80mm. The TPO roof membrane consists of a mixture of polypropylene (PP) and ethylene-propylene rubber (EPR) polymers. This roofing material also features several proprietary ingredients that offer greater durability and resistance to difficult weather patterns. These additives include pigments, UV absorbers, and flame-retardants, among other things.
Reinforced TPO roofing is enhanced by two TPO membranes that are fused together utilizing a polyester fabric “scrim” sandwiched between the plies. The TPO roof system is extremely durable and is meant to provide great value, as it is suitable for quite a large number of commercial, industrial, and multi-family roofing applications.
A TPO roofing installation can be done in various colors, including white, certain grays, and tans to match the building. This is a highly reflective and energy-efficient roofing solution that customers find beneficial, which is especially noticeable during the hot summer months.
Benefits of TPO Roofing:
· Energy efficiency through the reflective material, which is known as the “Cool Roof.”
· Thermoplastic roofing offers a clean and attractive appearance.
· The material is lightweight, which makes TPO roofing a wonderful option for re-covering a roof.
· TPO roofing installation is very quick on top of a number of substrates.
· It is very tough, making it tear- and puncture-resistant.
· The material is also resistant to animal fat grease, vegetable oils, and some hydrocarbon oils.
· As you would want with a roof, a TPO roof system is highly waterproof and ponding water in the non-seam areas of the roof is virtually irrelevant.
· When there is an issue, leaks are easy to locate and simple to repair as compared to a Built-Up roof, ballasted roof, and some other modified bitumen roofing systems.
· All seams are heat welded to create a monolithic membrane across the entire roof surface.
The versatility of the TPO roofing system makes installation easy in a few different ways:
· Fully adhered: The TPO membrane roof is secured directly to a polyiso insulation board or a cover board utilizing a specialized TPO bonding adhesive. The seams are then heat welded.
· Mechanically attached: Screws and chemically reactive plates are fastened at certain intervals along the seams and throughout the field. The TPO membrane is then bonded to these reactive plates. This method, however, is more suited to a retrofit TPO roofing installation rather than metal applications.
· Mechanically attached in the seams: The TPO membrane is screwed down to the deck surface in the seams only. Adjacent sheets then are overlapped and welded to seal the roof and cover the fastening screws.
For more information about a TPO roof system for your commercial building, whether it is a flat roof or a low-slope roof, call All Roofs Inc. Commercial Roofing today.
Leave it to us!
TPO roofing is a very durable option while also being one of the least expensive materials with many versatile benefits. However, for it to serve you for decades to come, it has to be properly installed and maintained throughout its lifespan. Our team of experts is here to ensure the proper execution of every step in the process of fulfilling your TPO roofing needs:
- TPO roofing installation
- TPO roofing repair
- TPO roofing replacement
We stand behind our work and every project we do.